
"Excuse me, are you a Muslim?", asked an Australian woman
"Yes, I am", my wife answered
"Do you know Arabic?"
"Yes, I know"
"How do you know that?"
"I've learned it in my home country"
"Where are you from? Malaysia?"
"No, I'm from Indonesia"
"How about you? Are you Muslim?" my wife then asked
"Yes, but I don't wear a veil like you."
"That's Ok!" commented my wife
"Yeah, but I think it is a good religion"
"Hi, what's your name?", my wife asked
My wife told me this conservation yesterday on the way to Brickworks Market in Torrensville, Adelaide. She got a new Muslim friend in her workplace.
I then remembered about a census data (2001) I read a couple weeks ago about the number of Muslim citizen in Australia, which was about 1.5% of the total population. This then encouraged me to look further for more data about Australian Muslims in google.
Surprisingly, I found that the origins of Islam in this continent is not from the Middle East, but from Indonesia (i.e., Makassar)!!! And it was a long time ago before the European settlement. Just see the data on this and this!
How can then the European, more specifically Christians, become the majority population in this country, instead of Muslims, instead of Aboriginals?
I don't know. I'm just wondering that it could happen because the european used a strong power to occupy and dominate this continent culturally, economically, and politically. And that those Makasarese people did not do the same thing. They only came here for trade, not for other reasons such as political and cultural domination.
Is this assumption right? May be yes, may be not.
What do you reckon?
No comments:
Post a Comment