Monday, October 02, 2006

Having A Doctor Friend

If you or your spouse is not a doctor, then one of the most important things to have when you are studying overseas is a doctor friend. If you have one, you will easily know where to go and who to consult whenever you have medical problems. I am fortunate to have such a friend in Adelaide.

My family and I visited him this afternoon to consult my daughter's cough and fever. He did not only give us very useful advice, but also some medicines for free. This was not our first visit though. Several times before, we also went there for health consultation. His wife is a doctor too. She is a dentist, and once, I was also one of her "patients".

This does not mean I never went to clinics or professional doctors in Adelaide. I have visited them at least five times for several reasons. Yet, unlike common medical practices in Indonesia, it is not very easy to see doctors here. Not to mention that it is not only expensive to visit them, but we should also make an appointment before see them, usually a day before. In my home country, you can visit professional doctors straight away whenever you need them without any appointment. In addition, although it is not very cheap to purchase prescription in Indonesia, it is not as expensive as purchasing prescription here.

Indeed, having a doctor friend is really helpful. Even if he or she could not help you with certain diagnoses or medication, such a person would have something to say and might suggest where best to go. If you have such a friend with you during your studies overseas, believe me, you must be very lucky. Like me.

Thanks dr. Tetra and dr. Fara!

No comments:

Post a Comment